College of Engineering (CoE) was one of the three colleges that opened with the establishment of the University of Sulaimani in 1968. The college started with the department of Civil Engineering, which admitted 44 students for the first academic year of (1968-1969). In (1973-1974), the department of Electrical Engineering was added to the college with the acceptance of 30 students. The first graduated BSc class was in (1971-1972). The number of students was steadily increasing throughout the years that followed. By (1981), 1451 students had graduated in 10 BSc classes from the School. At that year the University of Sulaimani was closed and moved to the city of Erbil under a new name, the University of Salahaddin.
The University of Sulaimani was re-established in (1992) in Sulaymaniyah city, and the College of Engineering was re-opened in (September 1995) with the department of Irrigation (renamed: Water Resources) Engineering. Then the Building Construction department began accepting students for the academic year (1996-1997) followed by the department of Architecture Engineering (1999-2000). After that, the department of Electrical Engineering was founded for the academic year (2004–2005). Between 1995 and 2021, 4748 engineers graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the College of Engineering with a percentage ratio of 55% male to 45% female.